GEORGE TOWN: Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad has denied claims that he is trying to stir up anti-Christian sentiments by saying that the Sept 11, 2001 attack on the World Trade Centre in New York was staged.
“Many people may think that I am trying to stir up the matter by publicly commenting that the attack on the United States was staged but I am firm with my point of view,” he told reporters after attending a dinner organised by the Penang Medical Practitioners’ Society here Saturday.
The former prime minister said there were groups of people who thought that he was trying to stir anti-Christian sentiments by commenting on the attack at this point of time.
“What do I gain from a publicity stunt? I’m not going to run for Prime Minister again.”
Earlier in his blog Mahathir said that he had watched a three-hour video showing the attack and suggested that the World Trade Centre and surrounding buildings collapsed due to controlled demolition.
“A lot of people in America (the apologists will dismiss them as conspiracy theorists) questioned whether the towers collapsed because the planes crashed into them or that something else caused them to come down.
“These people have reproduced videos taken by media people showing the attack and the collapse of the towers, pointing out certain peculiar features.
“If you have seen the three-hour long video which is widely distributed you would be convince by it.
“People fear of saying anything political on this issue, especially when we are accusing the government of a very powerful country of doing something wrong. Don’t forget they (even) told lies to go to war,” he said.
On another note, Tun Mahathir said Malaysia should not solely depend on foreign direct investments (FDI) and should instead build up its own economy. — Bernama
Do you agree with Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad’s claim that the Sept 11 attacks on the US could have been staged as an excuse to mount attacks on the Muslim world?